My first turkey trot

Happy post thanksgiving!  I’m feeling a little disappointed because I had been looking forward to Thanksgiving forever and now that it’s passed, it kind of stinks.

That said, overall it was a really nice time.

Wednesday was fun for one particular reason….I got to bring Minnie to work with me!  Due to some logistical details, it made the most sense for me to leave for NY right from work, which meant I needed my dog.  I asked the CEO for permission and it was granted. 🙂

After walking around and visiting everyone, she got tired and crashed hard.

Traffic Wednesday afternoon kind of stunk, but it is what it is.  I needed to get down to NY on Wednesday because the Turkey Trot was on Thursday!

I had this ingenious idea that my sister and I should do a turkey trot together (together in that we’d both sign up, not actually run together). And of course the run I selected was 5 miles, not a 5K like many. We managed to recruit my aunt so there were 3 of us.  We signed up for the Garden City Turkey Trot, which was in its 38th year.  Wow!

The night before I got an email saying that 5,000 people had registered.  After the event they said that it was over 6,000.  That’s way bigger than my half marathon.

I was actually pretty nervous about the run.  I had done practically no running since the half and what I had done wasn’t very successful.  While in DC I hit the treadmill one morning for a run and managed to eek out 1 mile before thinking my lungs were going to collapse.  The weekend before the trot I did managed to get outside for 3 miles, but it was a mix of running and walking.  Plus I ended up coming down with a minor cold a few days before the run.  Things weren’t looking good.

Thankfully though, the weather was on our side.  After about an hour of deliberating what to wear I still brought multiple options with me and then spend another 10 minutes in the car before making my final decision.


The race was big and I really like that.  My sister headed to the front and my aunt and I to the back.  It started late and by the time I crossed the start it had been almost 4 minutes.

The beginning was rough because there were walkers and joggers which required a lot of weaving in and out, but then it thinned enough.  I really enjoying having so many other runners around at all times.  I passed people, people passed me.  The roads were also 100% closed (unlike the half) which made me very happy.

I did walk through the water station at 2.25 but otherwise there was no walking.  I tried to push myself a bit and ended up coming in somewhere around 51 minutes.  My last mile was sub 10, which was awesome and all my others were in the low 10s (according to garmin).

Considering this was my first run since the middle of October I was quite pleased with that.  I was also encouraged that I was able to do this with no prep, which tells me that maybe a sub 10 will be possible with training.  Guess we’ll see!

And let me just say that my sister was the 17th woman to finish.  So amazing!

After the race we hung out a bit and then did a couple of errands before going home to shower and get ready for the feast.

The drink of the day was an apple cider mimosa, which I had tested a couple weeks beforehand.  So good!  My aunt also made a fun turkey made of fruit. 🙂

It was a lovely day with family.  The night ended as every thanksgiving ends…

minnie turkey

With Minnie stalking my dad for Turkey.  (I actually think this picture was from Friday, but it was essentially the same photo.)

And now it’s time to enjoy the last day of November.  Crazy!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s