I’m here! (with lots to say)

My last blog post dropped the bomb that was/is my hernia.  As a result of that diagnosis, I took off over a full week from working out/running.

I had my CT Scan last Wednesday.

By last Saturday I was actually feeling much better, but since my appointment with the surgeon was on Monday, I figured i’d wait it out.

The appointment was uneventful for the most part.  The hernia had actually popped back in (real techincal term here) so it had resolved itself.  That said, it’s not a guarantee that it won’t come back.

Given that the half is about a month and a half away, I wanted to do everything I could to assure that I’d be OK to run.  The options were as follow:

A) Have surgery ASAP.  Surgery would be robotic and therefore recovery would be 1-2 weeks.  I felt that as long as I was able to run 3+ weeks before the half, I’d be OK.  I’d also train really hard leading up to the surgery.  Who cares if it got worse, I was having surgery.

B) Do nothing.  Because it healed itself, I was perfectly fine going about my life.  That said, I’d have to hope that nothing aggravated it in the next month and a half.

I consulted my crew and we all decided that I should try to schedule it ASAP.  Well, apparently the OR wasn’t on board with this plan, and then had nothing available in the next three weeks.  Therefore it seems that the decision was made for me.  Option B it is.

So i’m back to training but doing everything I can to not lift, since it’s likely that lifting or straining is what caused the issue, not running.  I had actually really wanted to get back to weights, but will now “wait” (haha).  Right now the goal is just to make it to and complete the half.  My focus is only on cardio and losing a few pounds.

Monday night after my appointment I went out for a test run.  3 miles.  The weather here was MISERABLE.  Hot and humid.  Lovely.  I officially made it 2.7.  I literally had to stop and walk, but it was related to the weather, not my hernia, so that’s OK.  What was weird, was that I was faster than usual.  My first two miles were 10:06 and 9:49.  What???

My comfortable easy pace is about 10:47, my slight effort pace is around 10:20.    Between 10-10:20 to me is fast.

I knew I was going too fast so I tried to slow down, but I just couldn’t.  It was weird.  It was like I could push or I could stop and walk.  I ran up to 2.2 and then the last half mile was a mix of walking and running.

I felt good knowing I did something.

Tuesday was supposed to be 5 miles (Monday was supposed to be an off day).  Instead I made it a cross training day and did 45 minutes on the spin bike.  I’ve been spinning consistently for about 10 years, teaching for about of those.  Since my gym closed, I haven’t been on a spin bike, which means it had been over a month since I’d been on a bike.  It felt really good to get back to it.  I’m definitely ready to teach again!

I managed to give myself a good butt kicking, which is always a good thing.  My legs and butt are a bit sore.

This morning I was going to go out and do my 5 miles.  I’m so bored with my route, so I mixed it up a bit.


The route ended up being 6 miles but I stopped running at 5.  There were way more hills than I expected and it kicked my butt.

My pacing is completely out of whack.  I really need to work on being more consistent.  Prior to the hernia episode, I was really good about being consistent and not going too fast.  It was effortless.  My body knew where it needed to be and stayed there.  Unfortunately it seems that that is no longer the case.

My breakdown:
Mile 1 – 10:23
Mile 2 – 9:21 – WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?  I think it’s mostly downhill, but still.
Mile 3 – 10:06
Mile 4 – 11:07 – I took a little walking break
Mile 5 – 12:58 – lots of walking here

NOT GOOD.  That’s a range of over 3 minutes between my fastest and slowest…although that last mile had way  more walking than I’d like to admit.

I’m a little discouraged, but I will get over it and back to being consistent Jessica.

Have you ever had a similar slip up?  Where things were good and then all of a sudden something changed?

My thoughts on why this run was so miserable:  allergies and tired legs.  Is that the case?  Maybe.

So that’s one long post and enough from me.

44 days till race day!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s