1 Mile High City

Good morning!

I’m travelling for work at the moment but had a few minutes as I’m enjoying my morning coffee.

I’ve been bad about posting so I’ll do my best to get back on track.

Running last week was OK.  I got 2 of my weekday runs in and then missed the third (I think).  My long run was 8 and was planned for Saturday.  My running partner however was away for the weekend so he asked if I could move the run to Sunday and we’d do it together when he got back.  Mind you he was about 3-4 hours away, so waiting for him meant forgoing a 7am run.  Unhappily I said OK.  He said he’d be home by 10a.

On Saturday I had nothing to do and it was great.  I left the house around 9:45 to go to the supermarket and was struck by how hot it was.  Running at this time was definitely not going to work.  But I told him I’d wait, so i wanted to keep my word.

Saturday night I was trying to hydrate like it was no ones business.  I woke up early on Sunday and he called me around 6 to say they were just leaving and that he slept poorly so I should go without him.  Done.

I got out there around 7:30 and even then it was HOT.  The 8 was tough.  I was good through 5 and then took a walking break during 6 and 7 (I think).  But I did it, and that’s all that mattered.

Even though he and I don’t speak when we run, it was weird to do a long run solo.

I got home and assumed my usual post-run position on the deck.


Those are one of my Athleta pants and I LOVE them!  They just came out with them in green and i’m toying with getting them for the half.

Speaking of the half…it’s less than two months away and my motivation during the week is eh.  I need to work on that!

My birthday is Monday so I’m allowing myself this weekend to celebrate and then seriously kicking things into high gear.  It’s time!

So to this week…

I needed to run three times.  My plan was to take off Monday and then run Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  Well, of course things never work that way.

I got to Denver on Monday night and slept horribly, so Tuesday morning a run wasn’t happening.  Tuesday was busy with customer visits and then a trip to red rocks (and a little hiking in heels), so no run.  Wednesday morning after a great night of sleep I woke up early and hit the treadmill.

Um nope.  It was miserable.  My knee hurt, and my breathing was horrific. I pushed through and managed a mile.  Out of breath and as sweaty as if I had just sprinted (and I hadn’t).  I wasn’t sure if it was the altitude or just me.  I hopped on the elliptical for about 15 minutes and then called it a day (a

Fast forward to today and i’m in CA and back at sea-level (thankfully),  Woke up early and hit the treadmill again, only this time it worked.  When I got down there both treads were taken, so I did 10 minutes on the elliptical before doing a little over 3 miles.  I could have done more but was running out of time.

It still wasn’t easy (I find the treadmill never is) but it was a thousand times better and yesterday and I feel so much better knowing I completed it.

On the schedule for this weekend is 8 hilly and i’ll be doing it Saturday morning so the rest of the weekend can be all about birthday celebrations. 🙂

Have you ever ran in Denver?  Or somewhere else where altitude plays a part? I was told of a person who did an ironman here and had to make periodic visits here just to acclimate.  That’s dedication.

Have a great week!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s